The district of Orange is currently experiencing high levels of smoke from bush fires on Mount Canobolas and surrounding forests. This may cause problems for people with asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) or other lung diseases.
To reduce the risk of exacerbating your condition:
- Stay indoors – close doors and windows, block off any drafts with door snakes or towels
Use fans or coolers to circulate internal air
- Shopping – ask a relative or friend to get items for you or use online shopping options
- Medications – make sure you take any regular medications as per the instructions and if you need to leave the house or are required to evacuate take current medications and puffers with you. Ensure medication, particularly puffers, have not expired
- Drink plenty of fluids – preferably water
- If you start experiencing any symptoms refer to your asthma or COPD management plan and see your local doctor. Ask for a home visit if this is available.
- If symptoms are unrelieved, or worsening call an ambulance.