A A (02) 6809 8600

Emergency numbers

If you are currently experiencing an emergency, please call


More Emergency Numbers

Community Mental Health Services

Community Mental Health Services

​Community Mental Health Services​

Community Mental Health Services are divided into three age groups.
​Infant Child Youth and Family Mental Health Services (0-24yrs), Adult Mental Health (25-64yrs) and Older Persons Mental Health (65yrs+).  Your local team will be able to help you navigate who you should see.

If you are looking for mental health assistance or support, a good place to start is your GP. They can ensure your physical health is also taken care of and assess your potential need for a mental health care plan.

​​On this page:

How can we help?

Our teams offer a range of supports and referral options. You will be able to discuss the best plan of care for you with a clinician which may include face to face and/or virtual care.

Support may include:

  • Conducting a mental health assessment
  • Providing care coordination and a range of supports
  • Working with psychiatrists, inpatient services and GPs
  • Helping with admission to an inpatient mental health unit
  • Working with your family or carer  (with your consent)
  • Working with other services who may be involved in your care (with your consent)
  • Crisis support
  • Support from an Aboriginal Mental Health Drug and Alcohol clinician or trainee
  • Offering support from a peer worker
  • Providing support following discharge from a mental health inpatient unit
  • Referral to other health care or support services
  • Link you to Drug and Alcohol Services​
  • Pregnancy and parenting support for women experiencing mental distress or illness
  • Eating disorder support​ through case management and therapy

Back to top

Access, referrals & contacts

  • You can refer yourself by contacting your local service
  • You can be referred by your GP
  • You can phone ahead to make an appointment
  • You can walk in to speak with a clinician, if you come without an appointment you may need to wait
  • In smaller towns clinicians visit regularly but may not be available every day, please phone ahead to make an appointment.

Back to top


Contacts near you

​If your town is not listed, please contact your nearest service, who will be able to provide you with outreach details for your town including times and days. Some of your services may be provided by telehealth and or phone.

If at any time you are unable to reach your local Community Mental Health Team and you require urgent assistance, please call the NSW Mental Health Line on
1800 011 511

​Back to top

Information to bring to an appointment

  • Bring any information that could be helpful such as a list of medications you are taking, the name of your GP, information about other health problems and any recent discharge summaries.
  • You can make a list of questions to bring with you, and ask any questions for more information.

Back to top

Mental Health Line

At times when you call the Mental Health Line, they may transfer your call to your local Community Mental Health Team, as they have the best service information that may be able to assist you.

If you present to your local Community Mental Health Team and a Mental Health Clinician is not available to see you in person, you may be seen by a clinician from the Mental Health Line who will see you over a video link.  This often happens in
your local Emergency Department.

You may hear the hospital staff refer to the Mental Health Line as MHEC (Mental Health Emergency Care) which is the video link component of the Mental Health Line.

You can reach this team on 1800 011 511

Visit our Community Drug & Alcohol Services page​ for information on their support options.

Back to top​

Additional community support & independent living information

We support people to access a broad range of social supports so that they can live and participate in the community, in the way they want to. We support a recovery model by working with partner organisations to ensure an integrated approach to
healthcare and social supports.

The following services support people, their families and carers, to access the most appropriate type and level of support in a timely manner.

  • The Housing and Accommodation Support Initiative (HASI)​ and Community Living Supports (CLS) – These are state-wide programs providing social support to people who have a severe mental illness and are delivered by specialist community managed organisations. The support is flexible including out of hours and weekends, in partnership with the local health community mental health teams and Housing providers for eligible people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.  Please talk to staff for more information.
  • HASI Plus – is a higher level of support for people with more complex support needs who may benefit from more intensive clinical and residential support. The program is a state-wide service and accepts referrals to support people from across NSW. Please talk to staff for more information.
  • The Resolve Program – is a peer led support program that offers individual and group activities to assist people with their mental health recovery and to live healthy, independent lives.  The program provides residential support, outreach support and phone support. If you are eligible you will be contacted by one of our team.
  • NDIS – People who require long term social support may be eligible for NDIS. Please contact your local NDIS provider, talk to staff or other support providers to find out if you are eligible for NDIS.
  • National Psychosocial Support Measure​ – The Western NSW Primary Health Network (PHN) provide support for people with severe mental illness and associated psychosocial functional impairment who are not supported through the NDIS.

Back to top​